Almond is one of the most nutritious nuts out there. They are known to be highly nutritious and rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. There are many benefits to eating almond Ns we would be discussing them all in this article. They can be eaten raw or rotated, depending on the preference of the consumer, either as a snack or by adding them to sweet dishes. They are also available in slices, flakes, flour, oil, butter and/or milk and by flavoured many love caramel almonds perhaps because of the milky and chocolate taste it gives. And some others may prefer the salted version or salt caramel almond.
Most people are used to calling almonds a nut but they are more seeds than a nut. And almonds have been existing for a long time as the earliest trees people ever cultivated.
In this article, we would be looking into how beneficial the almond nut is to your health.
Almonds have several health benefits that have later been found.
- Cholesterol management.Almonds are known to have high fat but it is highly unsaturated. This fat PSE has no risk of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol, so you should be okay. Unsaturated fats in the right quantity are known to improve the blood cholesterol status but you should know they contain no cholesterol. Almonds may also increase the level of Vitamin E in the plasma and red blood cells and also help in lowering overall blood cholesterol levels. So if you have high cholesterol, you should consider taking almonds for it. In other studies done by researchers, it has been found that Vitamin E has antioxidant properties that can stop the process of oxidisation. This process is known to cause clogging of the arteries by cholesterol (arteriosclerosis). Almonds may also help boost and/or maintain the levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) also known as good cholesterol.
- In cancer. studies were made to look into notes that may pose a risk for cancer and it was found that those who consume a high quantity of peanuts, walnuts and almonds had a lower risk of break cancer compared to people who do not. This shows that they in a way protect and prevent the development of breast cancer.
- In the management of heart disease. Almonds with other nuts and seeds may improve the lipid or fat levels in the blood. This can affect the heart positively and improve its health.
- Vitamin E. Almonds contain a high level of Vitamin E which contains an antioxidant such as tocopherol. Vitamin E, together with other antioxidants help to prevent oxidative damage in the body which may occur when too many free radicals accumulate. They usually accumulate as a result of natural bodily processes and environmental stresses. The body can try eliminating them but through diet, enough of them can be eliminated. When these free radicals are high in the body, they cause oxidative stress which is very dangerous to the cells as they may damage them. This damage can lead to different kinds of diseases and health problems. In some other studies, vitamin E has been found to help lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, and even lower the risk of cancer because of the alpha-tocopherol.
- In the management of blood sugar. In some studies, almonds are known to in a way help with managing blood glucose levels. Magnesium levels are known to be quite low in those with type 2 diabetes which is common with those unable to manage their sugar. Even some suggested there may be a link between magnesium and sugar. When and if placed on almonds as a dietary supplement, there may be an improvement in blood sugar levels, and also fat levels.
- Management of weight. Almonds are very low in carbohydrates but high in protein, healthy fats and fibre. So when you eat almonds as a mid-morning snack it may leave you full for a long time. This way it helps to reduce the rate at which you eat, hence reducing your appetite.
- Improving bone health.Because they contain calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, vitamin K, protein and zinc, almonds are known to contribute to bone health and it comes highly recommended if you want to obtain nutrients.